With the month of April wrapping up, we thought we’d end with a bullet point list of little known facts about water:
- 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated (Likely applies to half of the world population
- In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger
- Even mild dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%
- One glass of water shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study
- Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue
- Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers
- A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.
- Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45% plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.
Are you drinking the amount of water you should be? This is just a friendly reminder from your West Seattle dentist Dr. Christine Kirchner to drink up!